10 Key Things to Consider When Buying OKR Software
Goals-driven organizations are increasingly turning towards solutions to help them set and manage clear, measurable goals that align with company priorities. Many have adopted the practice of using OKR goals (Objectives and Key Results), a system through which goals are cascaded down and aligned up so all teams’ efforts support what’s most important. OKR software takes the process a step further by giving teams the power to track the objectives everyone is working on.
If you’re seeking ways to accelerate your goal performance and boost productivity, OKR software could be your company’s best solution. Before you decide on a vendor, it’s critical to make sure the tool is the best fit for your needs. Here are some questions to consider:
10 Considerations for Buying OKR Software
- Does it support goal cascading and goal alignment? In other words, is the goal field just a static field with goals listed under a table? Or, does it automatically calculate progress to truly demonstrate contributions and alignment?
- Does it also permit cross-functional alignment? Will the software allow for cross-dependencies of shared goals across teams? Can it prevent redundancies to avoid errors in your reports and dashboards?
- Is there a comprehensive, visual goal alignment chart which displays the hierarchy of your OKR goals for a high-level overview of how all of your company goals connect and align with top priorities?
- How will the software actually add value from a performance standpoint? Specifically, why will users actually want to adopt the solution; is it developed from the ground-up for employees who actually want to use it, or is it simply built for HR compliance purposes?
- Can goal metrics also supported by qualitative questions, so managers can ask custom questions to measure progress? For example, does the OKR software allow managers to ask questions like, “Are there any roadblocks getting in the way of your goal achievement this week?”
- Does the goal setting software also have a pulse tool to support an ongoing 2-way closed-loop feedback among teams so they can continuously check in on progress?
- Is the software simple to use and intuitive? Does it have a modern and optimized user experience?
- Does the system have advanced analytics to deliver data-driven insights? Are there features like color-coding to help you develop a quick visualization of OKR performance?
- Does the OKR software show history of goal attainment? Can it also keep track of past OKRs from previous quarters to help managers compare progress during retrospective reviews?
- What level of support does the vendor offer, and does it come at an additional cost? What about post-launch? Is the vendor also an expert on goals management who can, therefore, provide true OKR coaching and personalized goals consulting services?
While there’s no “one-size-fits-all” goal setting software, taking the time to first identify your needs and then gather information from prospective vendors will help you ensure a good fit between your company and the OKR software you ultimately choose.If you’re a CEO, an executive, a middle-manager, or a front-line manager of any team, please take a look at how you can improve your team alignment, performance, and results through OKR goals and ongoing performance management. Here is more about Atiim OKR Pulse™.